In 1976, Peter was awarded a mature student scholarship to study at Bangor University. After graduating in 1979 with a BSc Honours degree in Psychology, he joined Plessey Marine in South Wales, recruiting electronic engineers and high-potential graduates on the ‘milk round’.
In 1982, he emigrated to the Netherlands and qualified there as an English teacher. After teaching English in a community centre and in secondary schools, he changed tack and became a freelance translator and ran his own translation agency. In 1998, he joined Kempen & Co (Amsterdam) as an in-house financial translator/editor. He then worked for Overtaal Language Services (Utrecht) as a senior all-round B2B translator and editor, and later specialised in financial translations and editing for Robeco (Rotterdam) and ABN AMRO Bank (Amsterdam HQ). He also gave private English lessons for over 20 years and took early retirement in 2007. His hobbies include family and house history research, researching and writing biographies, developing accounting software, bridge, hiking and Interrailing.
www.zimapanners.com [house history]
www.iloveschaublorenzmusiccenters.com [126-track tape recorder]
www.skippershillmanorhousehistory.com [house history]
www.digitalcash book.com [accounting app]
- Conybeare, Charles Augustus Vansittart (1853-1919) The Tenant of Tregullow House, barrister, MP, author
- Davis, Elizabeth (1900-1982) Finding Miss Davis, maths teacher from Norfolk, Virginia †
- De L’Arbre de Malander, Joseph Pierre Angèle Étienne (1909-1991) A Belgian Count in Cornwall, dog breeder
- Dixon, Jessie Staniland (1865-1933) The Miller’s Daughter from Blue Mills
- Faro, Richard Augustus (1896-1979) teacher, deputy headmaster at Skippers †
- Luard, Bixby Garnham (1835-1919) Vicar of Aveley
- Mander, John Richard (1930-1999) RNR, scoutmaster, teacher at Skippers, entrepreneur †
- Pattisson, Jacob Luard (1841-1915) Secretary to the Lord of the Admiralty, son of JHP
- Pattisson, Joseph Howell (1803-1874) The Rise and Fall of a Victorian Solicitor, embezzler with 15 children
- Seligman, Isaac (1834-1928) The Banker from Baiersdorf, German-born millionaire banker, philanthropist
- Strauss, Florence Annie (1872-1916) The Bohemian Glass Merchant’s Daughter, suffragist, wife of Conybeare
- Williams, Charles Rule (1849-1919) The Cornish Mining Engineer in Zimapan (no relation to WR Williams)
- Williams, William Robert (1860-1903) The 3rd Baronet of Tregullow, Cornish mining mogul
† These biographies will be available for reference in the Library at the East Sussex County Archive, The Keep, Falmer, nr. Brighton, East Sussex, at the back of an updated version of the ‘Skippers Hill Manor House History’, from about mid-March 2022.
Notice: This content of online version will no longer be updated. However, comments submitted by visitors will be responded to.
Nighttime view of Bangor University and its new Arts Centre, Pontio